Problem with "target remote COM1"

Hi all,

  I am trying to connect to the Atmel ARM Evaluation
board using the arm-elf-gdb debugger through the
serial port. When I used the command
"target remote COM1" it tries to connect to the board
but gives the error message "Ignoring packet error.."
and says that it was a malformed request.
I also tried with Tera term pro to connect to the
board through the serial port and it is successful in
connecting to it.
Can someone tell me what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance
Kishore