Re: How is eCos different from Linux and other RTOS(pSos, Nncleus) ?

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 04:35:38PM +0800, AL Chane wrote:
> How is eCos different from Linux and other RTOS(pSos, Nucleus)?

a few elements I see from a practical point of view:

- Linux is not an RTOS. eCos, pSos, Nucleus and QNX are an RTOS
  (using RTAI and others, Linux can be extended to have most of the
   features of an RTOS; there are also intermediate solutions to improve
   the response time of Linux, without making it a true RTOS).
- Linux and eCos (and RTEMS I believe) are all Free Software:
  - Open Source: unlimited right to copy, modify, distribute, fork
  - Open Access: the source is public, not hidden on CD's that are only
                 for sale for a lot of money (some Linux derivatives
		 suffer from this)
  - Free use: there is no charge for using it, also in commercial
              applications (at least one Linux derivative limits
	      commercial use through software patent enforcement)
- the other OS's (pSos, Nucleus, QNX) at least charge money for using
  them in commercial applications (they may be Open Source, Open Access,
  but never completely Free use)
- eCos has a much smaller footprint (order of 10 difference)
- Linux has memory protection (important for large project development,
  user loaded applications, security related systems, ...)
- Linux has more extensive support for peripheral devices, networking,
  GUI's, many new features than the smaller RTOS's (this is obvious,
  since it is much more code and there is a vast developer community)
- QNX combines more of the high-end Linux features with real-time

> How is eCos related to Linux?

- Free Software and all the advantages that brings
  - community development
  - no vendor lock-in
  - have a choice for development and support partners
  - control
- POSIX (at least partially)

> Does it take less efforts to port driver for Linux to eCos than
> pSos/Nucleus ?
>
> thanks

Sincerely,

Peter