Re: ecos update from Redhat

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:05:42PM +0800, Lin Ming wrote:
> It is said that Redhat will not support and update eCos from now on.
>
> They will finally give it up. Is that right? I am afraid of that!!
>
> Anybody knows about that?

RedHat have not been too active with eCos for a few months now. If you
look who is actually contributing patches from RedHat, the only name
that really makes an appearance is Mark Salter.

The old eCos team, ie Jifl, Bart, Gary, Alex, Paul, are still active,
but are now independent of RedHat. They have there own company,
ecoscentric, and offer similar services to when they were part of
RedHat. There are other companies which claim to have eCos knowledge,
eg www.mind.de, www.navosha.com, a company in India i forget the name
of at the moment,.... So if you need a support contract etc, that is
not a problem.

The anoncvs server now holds the real eCos tree. Before it used to be
internal to RedHat and sync'd once a week to the public tree. Its now
become easier for anyone with the right talents to become an eCos
maintainer and have write access to the tree, eg me!

Im not a marketing person, but i've heard that the prediction that for
deeply embedded systems, Linux usage will decrease and eCos will
increase is becoming true.

I don't think it matters if RedHat steps out of eCos. There are other
companies behind it now, an active OS community and there is a market
demand.

        Andrew