Re: Licensing of OpenSource code and eCos

Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
May I conclude from the exact text of the ECOS 2.0 license that prorietary
drivers that are in a separate source tree file, would be allowed by the
ECOS 2.0 license ?
Yes, provided they are in no way derived or based on eCos code. This includes using an existing driver as a template I'm afraid.

To achieve that "freedom" with the eCos as an OS, perhaps we need:

1. a system/user space program loader with memory protection support
2. a funny OS interrupt/exception
3. a driver module loader/unloader

Only then it could be fully GPL-ed.
It was a deliberate design choice in eCos *not* to have a kernel/user space division. And a driver module loader/unloader is a useful feature to have in the toolbox, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

Otherwise, the eCos can still follow the common practice, that is being
available under two licenses one fully GPL-ed and the other fully
commercial.
Note that the copyright holder(s) are always entitled to distribute things under a different licence, e.g. a commercial one. That way we do give commercial organisations who are wary of open source an option. Whether this will ever happen in the future or not remains to be seen though.

I think that for a project that has already reached a critical mass, such as eCos, the ECOS 2.0 license is much better than the dual license concept.
I would strongly argue against any change to the license on eCos. I explained before why I have an issue with the mandatory Copyright Assignment practice, but that is a completely different aspect of it.
The licence is very unlikely to change. It was difficult enough to arrange the current version! :-)

Jifl
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine