RE: Licensing of OpenSource code and eCos

Of course, that is comparing a statically linked OS with
a dynamically linked OS. I suppose you could take ECOS
source as a start, and build a dynalinker for it, something
along the lines of vxWorks, or you could provide services
through a processor trap as in pSOS. The base source is
there after all.

I think one of the tenets of the FSF is that proprietary
software is bad, so they would probably consider it good
that you cannot link with proprietary code in this case.

Many of the developers of code licensed under the GPL
feel the same way. "I did this, and I am giving it away
for free. You may use it, as long as you make no profit
from it." I view that as a reasonable value system. It
may not be true for all people in all cases, but it
certainly has its time and place.

Douglas Fraser