Re: Licensing of OpenSource code and eCos

On Monday 30 September 2002 12:02 pm, Iztok Zupet wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 20:43, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > The licence is very unlikely to change. It was difficult enough to
> > arrange the current version! :-)
>
> Very suitable for embedded use, anyway. But according to my talk with
> FSF (about booting RedBoot from DoC, partly cc-ed to Jifl) they seem to
> dislike the linking exception thus making it harder for the eCos
> community to port fully GPL-ed code to eCos.

Tell me, what company would use eCos if they were required to release their
source code under the GPL as well?

I worked on a DOCSIS cable modem, the software specification for that is a
book.  It takes about 1 year and 10 people to get the software up to spec,
representing about $1,000,000.

If the linking exception is removed, I can't think of any company that I have
worked for that would use it.  It would be like requiring all software
written on Linux to be under the GPL.