RE: Licensing of OpenSource code and eCos

It is not purely academic.

The eCos license is not a pure GPL, it is a modified GPL,
so that you may in fact ship proprietary software bundled
with eCos.

The fact that you may not bundle GPLed modules without making
your software public is a different subject completely.

ECos has value to me for delivering purely proprietary
control software for deeply embedded applications. This has
nothing to do with GPLed software elsewhere on the market.

The value proposition for eCos is completely separate from
Linux and FreeBSD. It provides basic RTOS primitives in a
package that is smaller than the primary boot loader for
most *nix kernels, and it provides priority levels and
preemption. If you need the features that eCos provides,
it is a winner. Size, preemption, priorities, determinism.
In some problems/solutions, those are the features that matter.

Doug Fraser