Re: How does people think of ecos's future compare to so m any existing RTOS? eg.RT-Linux, Embedded Linux, VxWorks, etc.. Welcome t o discuss

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 07:14:58AM -0400, Doug Fraser wrote:

> I must ask, if knowing an OS (or CPU) does not matter, then why
> does every resume list the distinct OSs and processors that the
> applicant had developed on?

 1) HR types operation on a strict buzz-word matching
    algorithm.

 2) Knowing _similar_ OSes or CPUs is almost as good.

> All things being equal, choosing between two applicants, would
> you choose the one that had prior experience in eCos, or the
> one who didn't? (assuming you are using eCOs)

If, indeed, all things were equal, I'd choose the one with eCos
experience.  However, if other things weren't equal the
weighting of eCos-specific experience would be pretty low.

For example: We're doing development on a custom board based on
an ARM7 microcontroller.  I have to choose between two
candidates:

 1) Has used eCos on synthetic Linux platform. (No non-PC
    experience).

 2) Has used other RTOSes on custom embedded hardware.

I'd pick candidate 2 without hesitation.  Somebody who has used
a few RTOSes can pick up another one in a few days.  Somebody
who has never debugged using an oscilliscope requires a lot
more training.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com