Re: RedBoot with eCos question

Vladimir Sterjantov <vfs@tersy.ru> writes:

> my hello-world eCos application don't starts from i386 PC's floppy
> (file loaded from floppy, screen clears,
> cursor blinks in upper-left corner, and nothing more
> happens).

You should get one or more lines of dots as the application is loaded,
if not then it is not working.

> CYG_HAL_STARTUP = FLOPPY in ecos.ecc.

That is all you should need to do.

> i don't sure this should work at all.
> So, i should use RedBoot, right?

Certainly during development you should use RedBoot. It gives you the
ability to debug your code via GDB and saves you the hassle of writing
floppies all the time.

> Then,
> is it possible to add eCos-application code to RedBoot image file, then boot
> with this image from i386 PC floppy, and to use RedBoot scripting to
> automatically start this application from certain address ?
> If so, how i can combine RedBoot with eCos-application ?
>
> All i want: create stand alone bootable floppy with eCos application, which
> automatically boots and starts.

What you have done so far is correct and should work. I have just
tried it myself and it all functions correctly.

Check the following:

1. Make sure that you are copying a binary image to the floppy and not
   the ELF file. Convert it with i386-elf-objcopy, install it with dd.

2. The working application will not use the PC screen, anything it
   prints will go out COM1. Make sure you have the right sort of cable
   and that your terminal software is set to the right baud rate
   etc. Use RedBoot to check this, since we know this works.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.eCosCentric.com/