RE: Loading linux image through redboot.

> Isn't the 'kernel' file you generate this way identical to
> 'vmlinuz' that is produced by the build process anyway?

I don't think so. The build process produces vmlinux (with an x) which
is an ELF executable. Often when you install a kernel you rename bzImage
to vmlinuz (with a z).

vmlinux gets turned into a raw binary, compressed and linked as data
with arch/i386/boot/compressed/head.S (the decompresser) to produce
bvmlinux, which is again an ELF executable. This is then made into a raw
binary called bvmlinux.out which is the protected mode starting point,
which is what the code I posted requires.

bvmlinux.out is then concatenated with the real-mode header to produce
the final bzImage. The dd command basically just strips of the real mode
part and leaves what was bvmlinux.out. You could equally well (and I do)
just use the bvmlinux.out directly.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell