atmel boards and ecos

Hello,
i see that there are some people who want to use redboot for there atmel at91
based boards. I make this decission for some days. Now i am on this point.

1. Toolchain.
I have to use the gcc 2.95. The gcc 3.x version will not work correctly
(memchr - error).
If i want to use a 3.x version i have to build a arm-ecos-elf- toolchain (as,
gcc, ld ..).

2. Here i am confused.
I found in the ecos-patches archive  the following files:
at91.patch.gz
at91.tar.bz2
eb40a_flash.tar.gz
ecos.db.patch.gz
flash_at49xxxx.epk
hal_at91.epk  hal_eb40.epk

The file at91.tar.bz2 seems to bee the basic. The other patches uses the gz
and the epk formats. Are this the same patches? Which patches have i, in
which sequence, to apply? Shall i prefer the *.gz or the *.epk files?
I have also a problem with the at91.tar.bz2 file. I got a lot of garbage if i
decompress it. Possible my Email program has a problem. A part of the code i
see plain in the mail.

Now i have a small request. Is anyone able to told me what i have to do, to
get a valid ecos repository, which i can use to develop my own board package.
I will start at a fresh downloaded ecos repository.

And at second, wouldn't it be better to apply the necessary code to the
ecos-main. The use of several patches will produce some more errors, if
everybody starts at an other point. It will be not so easy to bring the
several pieces of code back to one point.

Greetings, Roman Jordan