Re: JFFS2 filesystem and eCos code on the same chip?

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 07:28, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:26:22PM +0200, llandre wrote:
> > Is it possible to have the JFFS2 file system and eCos binary code on the
> > same physical chip?
>
> The flash driver API functions copy themselves itself into RAM before
> doing anything with the flash. Redboot uses this feature.

Firstly, it's not common to actually be executing from FLASH.  RedBoot
does this, and an application can do so as well, but the more common
case is for programs to execute out of RAM.  That noted, the drivers
are designed to handle this case anyway by insisting that the access
routines are in RAM before running them.

> What i don't know about is if this is thread safe. Does the flash code
> disable interrupts while its doing dangerous things? You need to check
> the code, or probably Gary knows.

This is an interesting observation.  Currently nothing specific is being
done about interrupts.  It probably should, so I'll think about it.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |