Re: MPC555 kernel - newbie

Please, always copy the ecos-mailing list, others with similar problems
could benefit from the discussion too ...

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 10:04, Sérgio Duarte e Silva wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for your answer!
> I followed all the mpc instructions to install and compile the enviroment
> and development tools, but it is just not working, I am having a problem
> with cygwin, and I dont know why I cant find the CC compiler. I will try it
> again today.

Which mpc instructions did you follow ? The ones you need are on

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/linux-powerpc-eabi.html for linux or
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/win-powerpc-eabi.html for windows.

As far as I know, eCos makefiles do not use the CC environment variable
but call the compiler directly which should be powerpc-eabi-gcc in this
case. As I said before, this is the case with the latest sources from
CVS. If you want to use something else, I am affraid you have to contact
the corresponding authors.

> As I am a newbie I need to make some dummy questions... What is the
> diference between Red Boot and Ecos? Just to test the kernel that I found is
> it necessary to download and build all the development tools? And.. how can
> I download everything to my development board? There is an enviroment or a
> command line to use my JTAG interface?

Since you seem to be working under windows, it should be possible to use
GDB together with a "Wiggler" BDM interface. Serial debugging is of
course also possible.

If I am not mistaken, the raven can be used under linux and windows. I
am not sure though...

> My system here is:
> ETAS development board (using PhyCORe MPC555), BDM Raven (JTAG), Codewarrior
> (Programming and Interface).

You _need_ gcc, codewarrior won't do the trick

> I was thinking if it was not possible to download the compiled projet using
> Codewarrior but I cant find nothing about this stuff.

You wont find anything because it is not possible. It is maybe a good
idea to start reading the getting started manuals :-)

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/

> Thanks in advance
> Best regards

Cheers,