Re: New to eCOS and tool building, problem building a crossgdb on cygwin using gdb sources downloaded via cygwin's setup.exe

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 14:40, Warren Postma wrote:
> Following the instructions on the ecos web site about building a
> cross-debugger for cywgin, I'm trying to build one for the ARM compiler. I
> used to latest sources downloaded through CYGWIN SETUP.EXE, which grabbed
> gdb-gdb-200010428-3, since I figured that these packages probably would
> "./configure;make all;make install" the most easily.  Anyways, I got GCC and
> BINUTILS installed fine, but gdb dies.
>
> make failes when linking libgdb.a, because of undefined external variable
> which is a function of some kind (default_callback) declared in
> remote-rdp.c.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a CYGWIN thing. Shouldn't undefined externals be
> allowd normally in Unix libraries, isn't that how certain functionality in
> linking of library files is accomplished? Link it later, the .a file could
> have undefined symbols.
>
> Suffice it to say that I'm over my head. I'm reasonably good in Linux doing
> this stuff, but I thought I'd try to get cygwin/redhat/ecos/gcc cross
> compilers up and running on Windows (2000).
>
> Anyone help?  gdb make output follows.

I think you should use the packages recommended at:
  http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/win-arm-elf.html
The version of GDB that you are trying to build from is incredibly
old and I know that this particular problem was fixed long ago.
That not withstanding, you'll be better off with newer stuff.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |