where trace and assert run?

All,
I have debug my application in i386-elf-gdb(host-pc target),every time,a *.stackdump file will created,I guess it is the trace instuments provided by ecos that did it,but i do not know its machanism.questions are:
since trace code was run in target,so who created this file in host???and how trace running in target write this file through serial port?? because target pc maybe do not support filesystem,So i guess like this:
program running on target send "create file and write file" command to host then i386-elf-gdb execute this command.

Brs/johnsonest