RealTek 8139 Redboot i386

I'm a newbie to eCos....need some help here.

I'm trying to bring up a i386 target booting from a Redboot floppy with
network support.
I used Chris Paulson's Realtek 8139 driver and followed the instructions for
the ecos config.

Once I boot the target I get this message and the machine just hangs:

DP83902A eeprom: ESA: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

I suppose this error message has got to do with the MAC address reading
(correct me if I'm wrong). Now do I have to set the hw address manually? If
yes where? Most of the other network drivers do have the option of setting
the address manually but not the realtek one.
Am I missing out something here?...may be somehting got to do with ISA vs
ESA??

Help in this regard would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Vijai