Re: Cygwin problem building (again) - newbie

Hi Sergio,

I never used windows for eCos related stuff, so I am not sure if I will
be able to help you, but, I noticed the following on

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/getstart.html

"The eCos net distribution is available in both Linux and Windows
versions. The Linux version has been tested under Red Hat Linux 6.1 (and
later releases) for x86 but should work under most Linux variants. The
Windows version has been tested under Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and also
works under Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows 2000. However, please
note that although successes have been reported, building the eCos
development tools under Windows 95 or Windows 98 has been found to be
unreliable, and we recommend avoiding building the development tools on
these systems if possible."

Maybe that's the key to your problem?

instead of making cc a link to gcc, consider the following at the bash
prompt.

export CC=gcc

I also noticed that you have lots of compilers installed. MingW32, you
probably don't need as it is intended to be used without cygwin. You
probably dont want to mix gcc 2.95.3 with a 3.x version either. Which
one is preferred for building the crosscompiler under cygwin, I don't
know.

Which warnings did you get? If you got a LOT of them, something is
certainly wrong.

Regards,
Bob

> Hi everyone,
>
> I sent some questions last week about my MPC555 build and now I am trying it
> again, so... I had the following error when compiling the binutils:

> -------
> $ /src/binutils/binutils-2.13/configure --target=powerpc-eabi \
> > --prefix=/tools \
> > --exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin \
> > -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out
> Configuring for a i686-pc-cygwin host.
> Created "Makefile" in /tmp/build/binutils using "mh-frag"
> cc: not found
> *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
> -------
>

> What is needed to install CC?
> I made a search for  " *** You must set the environment variable CC to a
> working compiler." and I found this solution:
>
> ln cc.exe gcc.exe
>
> (in /bin)
> It doesnt work for me. But this:
>
> ln gcc.exe cc.exe
>
> works and now I have this output (after a LOT of warnings):

> /src/binutils/binutils-2.13/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:4869: warning: passing arg
> 2 o
> f `memcpy' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> make[1]: *** [cplus-dem.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/binutils/libiberty'
> make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2
> make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/binutils'
>
> I downloaded cygwin using the cygwin setup from www.cygwin.com, and I
> instaled these packages:
> gcc: C, C++, Fortran compilers
> gcc-mingw: Mingw32
> gcc2: Version2.95.3 of C,C++, Fortran
> gdb
>
> and some other packages. So.. I have a compiler but I am doing something
> wrong.
> Does anyone here knows how to solve this problem? Is this something related
> with libs?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sérgio Duarte e Silva
> www.mlap.de
>

> --
ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma