RE: Protecting RedBoot in the field

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Lunn [mailto:andrew.lunn@ascom.ch]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 7:18 AM
To: Gary Thomas
Cc: eCos Disuss
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Protecting RedBoot in the field

> That said, I think a password (stored in 'fconfig') would be a
> great addition.

I wondered about encrypting the passwd so its not plain text. But does
that get is into US export regulation problems? Is crypt(3) still
under restrictions? Can anybody suggest an alternative?

      Andrew

You could just store it as plain text, or if you must disguise the password,
you could use base64 encoding.  I'm concerned with code bloat in RedBoot
(it's already twice the size I would like).

Jay Foster