Re: Help! Building ECOS Host Tools and ARM-ELF Libraries, latest anoncvs code, cygwin.

    Warren> I am trying to get up and going on an StrongARM target
    Warren> (BSE NanoEngine) with eCOS 2.0Alpha cvs sources. I have
    Warren> almost NO eCOS experience (this is it!) but I am pretty
    Warren> comfortable in Unix/GNU/GCC/Configure/Makefile situations.

    Warren> So far I have installed full Cygwin tools, followed
    Warren> instructions to build the arm-elf cross-compilers and
    Warren> tools (binutils, gcc, and gdb/Insight). I downloaded the
    Warren> new ecosconfig.exe and overwrote the old one. So far so
    Warren> good. The Insight build was *hard*, but the instructions
    Warren> were well written if followed in a disciplined fashion.
    Warren> Thank you all for your help getting me this far.

    Warren> So now I'm trying to build the Actual eCOS 2.0 Ahpha stuff
    Warren> and get a Hello World up on the Target, and running to
    Warren> help me test that new Insight 5.2 "arm-elf-gdb" executable
    Warren> that took so long to get built! <grin>

    Warren> I know I'm not doing the ecos configuration right, but
    Warren> this is what I have figured out so far:

    Warren> mkdir -p /tmp/build/ecos
    Warren> cd /tmp/build/ecos
    Warren> /usr/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/configure \
    Warren>  --prefix=/tools/ecos  \
    Warren>  --target=arm-elf 2>&1 \
    Warren>  | tee /tmp/build/ecos/ecos-configure.out

    <snip>

    Warren> Then it stops. Is there CDL stuff I have to do before
    Warren> Configure? Am I missing Configure stuff? Do I need to read
    Warren> a few hundred pages of ecos manuals? I'll do whatever it
    Warren> takes. <GRIN>

eCos target-side code is not built using configure/make/make install.
Instead eCos has its own configuration technology based around CDL, so
rather than run "configure" you should be using ecosconfig or the GUI
tool. For more details see the eCos documentation, in particular the
Programming Tutorial from the appropriate Getting Started guide,
and then the User's Guide. Not quite hundreds of pages.

The configure script you are running here is for rebuilding the eCos
host-side tools. Essentially you are trying to cross-compile
ecosconfig for an embedded arm-elf system, and ecosconfig is not
expected to run on targets like that :-)

Bart