Re: Insight/GDB 5.2 Extremely slow on nano target (ethernetdebugging)

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 07:28, Warren Postma wrote:
> Quoth JL:
> > Try the command line (arm-elf-gdb -nw) to see if it is faster.
>
> I did that and it was no faster. It still locks up, even doing single steps.
> The first things in main()  are in the order of "x=5", so stepping through
> them hardly seems a challenge.
>
> In fact today, serial stepping (S) and step over (N) both are working ONLY
> with serial connection, and Ethernet crashes immediately if I try to single
> step while in main().
>
> I wonder if something is going on with Ethernet IRQ handling.

At this point, you're not using any ethernet interrupts.

> Are there any debug flags I can enable and recompile Insight with, or any
> runtime GDB Commands that could help me get more information on what's going
> on here?
>
> One additional factoid:  If I uncheck the "Set breakpoint at Main()" in the
> RUN Dialog, and manually delete all saved breakpoints before I hit run, it
> still locks up.   So basically Ethernet debugging is totally unstable.  Some
> additional way to generate debug information might help me figure it out.
> Right now, just running I can see that there is zero ethernet activity, and
> zero CPU activity, and the system just waits about 60 seconds, does a little
> ethernet blip (about one packet) and then waits another minute. Also, no GDB
> console window ever opens.  If I hit the GUI STOP button I get "No response
> from target. Detach from target (and stop debugging it)? [Yes/No]".

Try running some other, non-GDB, tests over your ethernet interface.
For example, you can connect to RedBoot's CLI via:
  % telnet <RedBoot-IP> 9000
See how well this works.  If it's reliable, then we'll have to look
elsewhere.  If not, you can turn on some network debugging (via
'fconfig') in RedBoot that will come out over the serial port.  This
may also shed some light.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |