Re: Insight/GDB 5.2 Extremely slow on nano target (ethernetdebugging)

Warren Postma wrote:
Quoth JL:

Try the command line (arm-elf-gdb -nw) to see if it is faster.

I did that and it was no faster. It still locks up, even doing single steps.
The first things in main()  are in the order of "x=5", so stepping through
them hardly seems a challenge.
One issue I've come across in the past is sometimes GDB's (or the stub's) determination of where to set the next breakpoint for the single step can be wrong. Try doing it with non-optimized code if you aren't already. Alternatively try putting diag_printf()'s in that would indicate whether your target _is_ in fact continuing even though you thought it had only been stepped.

Are there any debug flags I can enable and recompile Insight with, or any
runtime GDB Commands that could help me get more information on what's going
on here?
In GDB:
set debug remote 1
That will display GDB's idea of the traffic to/from the target. That might give you a hint.

One additional factoid:  If I uncheck the "Set breakpoint at Main()" in the
RUN Dialog, and manually delete all saved breakpoints before I hit run, it
still locks up.   So basically Ethernet debugging is totally unstable.
Does your app contain its own IP stack? If so, does it use a separate IP address?

> Some
additional way to generate debug information might help me figure it out.
diag_printf() :-).

Thanks Jonathan, by the way, I'm sorry that you seem to be bearing the brunt
of the load on this mailing list.
Don't confuse my burstiness with average contribution! Gary in particular does more than his fair share, along with the other maintainers Bart, Nick, and Andrew. And of course all the helpful people who chime in. The more people who chime in the better - we don't want this list just to be a way of talking to the developers, but to have users helping themselves too.

Hopefully I can contribute back to the
project once I get past this initial incompetence. <grin>
All the more incentive for us to get you going :-).

Jifl