Re: redboot and MIPS malta board

Jimmy Zhang wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Larmour" <jifl@eCosCentric.com>
To: <jzhang@elmic.com>
Cc: <ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOS] redboot and MIPS malta board

  Zhang wrote:
> Dear all, here is my problem:
>
> Firstly I am able to download the prebuild
> ECOSDIR/images/mips/malta/redboot_ROM.fl to my malta board, it worked,
> but just for a few minutes. Then I can't download it any more. It
> always gives me some wierd charactors, and all eight D28 LEDs are
> green.
>
> I tried to rebuild, ( using the import configure file
> .../misc/redboot_ROM.ecm, and srecconv.pl -ES L -A 29 to convert),
> still, I can't download the result redboot.fl, and all D28 LEDs are
> green again. (but no weird charactors this time)
>
> I remembered that I typed (SHIFT + 4) when redboot was working on my
> malta board. It is very strange that whenever I typed that, my malta
> board is dead and I have to reset it. After several times, the
> resetting is not working for me any more, and I even can't download any
> more.
>
> Anybody gives some hint about this?

Shift 4 is '$' and makes RedBoot switch into GDB debugging mode which as
far as _you_ can tell well make it appear dead. You need to do a power
cycle or full reset. Alternatively you can try typing:

++$k#6b
followed by return to ensure the line is flushed. That should resuscitate
the redboot prompt.

Jifl

Hi, Jonathan,

Thanks for your information! I intended to go to GDB mode by typing "SHIFT
4",
You do know you don't have to do this yourself, right? This happens automatically when you connect from GDB as the first thing GDB sends is a '$'.

> however, there is no message on the screen to show me that I have
already entered GDB stub mode. (I think eCos should generate that
information...sign...)
That would be nice, but for practical reasons we can't. If this is GDB, GDB needs a quick reply or it will time out, so we can't output anything.

> so I happended to type it several times

Hmm. odd.

I turned off all the power source, reset hundreds of times, downloadded all
sorts of redboot image, just the same thing. Anyway, whenever I downloaded
the Yamon image to my malta board, it works fine.
Okay, this particular issue definitely shouldn't be persistent over a power cycle! Sorry I can't help more.

Jifl
--
eCosCentric http://www.eCosCentric.com/ <info@eCosCentric.com>
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine