i82559 driver: i82557 support?

In the Intel i82559 driver, there's the following note

        FIXME: For 82557/8 compatibility i82559_configure() function
               probably needs some tweaking - config bits differ
               slightly but crucially.

I'm using an 82557 card which mostly works, but ping_test runs
correctly about 10% of the time, and the rest of the time, I'm getting
timeouts during the DHCP request phase.

Could this possibly be related to config bits on the NIC?  If so,
could someone point me in the right direction as far as docs or spec
sheets which describe the differences between the config bits on the
two NICs.

--
Kevin Hilman