eCos version 2.0 is a GPL-compatible Free Software license

Dear all,

The current version of the GNU licensing page about free software
licenses, non-free licenses etc. still mentions:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

  The following licenses do not qualify as free software licenses. A non-free
  license is automatically incompatible with the GNU GPL.

  eCos Public License
      This was the old license of eCos. It is not a free software license, because
      it requires sending every published modified version to a specific initial
      developer. There are also some other words in this license whose meaning
      we're not sure of that might also be problematic.

      Today eCos is available under the GNU GPL with additional permission for
      linking with non-free programs.

However, a time ago I sent a request to the Free Software Foundation
to take a new look on the new version 2.0 license and recently we received
this response from Mr. David Turner on that matter (which I take as good
news).

Sincerely,

Peter

[...]

> [...]
> > // at http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/ecos-license/
> > // -------------------------------------------
> > //####ECOSGPLCOPYRIGHTEND####
> >
> > To my review, this would qualify the license on eCos 2.0 as a "Free Software"
> > license, compatible with Free Software, but with a weak Copyleft.
> >                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >                          GNU GPL
> >
> > In a recent discussion on the matter on the ecos-discuss mailing list, I
> > posted the statement below (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2002-09/).
> > The whole discussion started around the issue or Copyright Assignment to
> > Red Hat (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2002-09/msg00302.html)
> > that set-off a debate on this and the eCos 2.0 license. This is now continued
> > under the thread
> > (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2002-09/msg00398.html):
> >
> >  "The ECOS 2.0 license also allows for proprietary applications, linked with
> >   eCos as a library. This is exactly the point of the modifications of the
> >   ECOS 2.0 license with respect to GPL: of cleary defining and limiting the
> >   scope of Copyleft. A universal advantage of the _clear definition_, is that
> >   it avoids some potential discussions over the "whole work" concept as
> >   worded in the GPL. The mention to not being allowed to link from a non-GPL
> >   work to a GPL library is only mentioned as a comment on the end, that points
> >   to the LGPL license that could be used if that is your intention. The base
> >   concept that is named in article 2 of GPL 2.0 is much more general in the
> >   sense that, if some part of the "whole work" was received under a GPL
> >   license, the whole work can only be redistributed as GPL.
> >
> >   From the GPL 2.0 license:
> >
> >     These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
> >     identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
> >     and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
> >     themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
> >     sections when you distribute them as separate works.  But when you
> >     distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
> >     on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
> >     this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
> >     entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote
> >     it.
> >
> >   The _limitation_ of the scope of Copyleft in the ECOS 2.0 license to not
> >   include others works through linking, is not a general advantage, but
> >   a deliberate "political" choice, to allow practical commercial use of eCos.
> >   Some people will be in favor, others will object it, based on political
> >   views of how "Free Software" should be promoted best. My personal view
> >   (for what its worth), is that in this context of embedded systems, the
> >   ECOS 2.0 license makes a lot of sense."
> >
> > I you wish to reply to the ecos-discussion list, with your review of the

[...]

> --
> -Dave "Novalis" Turner
> Free Software Licensing Guru
> Support my work: http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=novalis&p=FSF

Mind: Embedded Linux, eCos and JVM Development in Europe
Mind (http://mind.be)              tel:  +32-16-30.96.66