Re: eCos for Ethernet Switches

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:57:38AM +0100, Laith Said (DXD) wrote:
> Hi,

Please send questions like this to ecos-discuss, not maintainers.

> My name is Laith Said and I have a small question about eCos. I'm
> trying to evaluate eCos as an operating system for an Ethernet
> switch, and there I game to question that I could not find an answer
> to, that is whether there are any layer 2 packages and RFCs that are
> implemented and can be used, for example 802.1D Spanning Tree,
> 802.1Q VLAN, and some other RFCs like 2737 Entity MIB, and RFC2030
> SNTP.

No spanning tree, no VLAN. 2737 im not familiar with. [Goes and
fetches the RFC]. No, no support for that. There is no public client
for SNTP either.

What you probably want to do is look at the FreeBSD sources and see if
they include support for 1Q and spanning tree. If so, it should not be
two hard to port them into the FreeBSD stack in eCos. For the snmp and
SNTP you will have to write them yourself.

     Andrew