RE: Separate bss sections for kernel and application

Mark,

I haven't tried it, but I'd have thought something like the following in
your locate file should work, after you've defined where ram_kernel and
ram_appl are located.

    /* locate kernel un-initialised data */
    .kernel_bss  :
    {
        _kernel_bss_start = .;
        path/to/kernel_module1.o(.bss)
        path/to/kernel_module2.o(.bss)
        /* ...etc... */
        _kernel_bss_end = .;
    } > ram_kernel

    /* locate remaining un-initialised data */
    .bss  :
    {
        _bss_start = .;
        *(.bss)
        *(COMMON)
        _bss_end = .;
        _end = .;
    } > ram_appl

I've used something similar (albeit in a non-ecos environment) for locating
specific .text modules in specific regions.
N.B. If you're kernel_moduleX.o files aren't left around as part of your
current build you'll need to make them .PRECIOUS to leave them around for
the locate phase.

cheers,

Ian