Re: RedBoot and interrupts

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 14:00, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I've got an Intel IXP425 eval board that runs RedBoot.  The 425
> has two built-in Ethernet interfaces, but RedBoot will only use
> a third EEPRO-100 PCI board. Upon investigating the use of the
> two onboard Ethernet interfaces, it seems it is not practical
> to operate the built-in Ethernet controlelrs in polled mode.
>
> What sort of problems are to be expected if an Ethernet driver
> uses interrupts under RedBoot?

RedBoot has no notion of interrupts (really) and the default
template does not even include interrupt support.  In other
words, you'll be on your own.

We do have a device driver framework which is designed to
work in such an environment (i.e. interrupts, but no kernel).

Why isn't it "practical" to use poll these devices?

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |