Re: python?

On Sunday, March 9, 2003, at 06:14 AM, Gary Thomas wrote:

I have done this in the past (and actually, I'm playing with the
latest Python on eCos at the moment).  It's a non-trivial experience.
As mentioned previously, Python is very file oriented, so you need
a file system of some sort.  It's also not small - the version I've
been experimenting with is pretty big (which means ethernet downloading
is pretty much a necessity):
[gthomas at hermes Python-2.3a2]$ powerpc-eabi-size python
1244460 1576988  701564 3523012  35c1c4 python

What sort of "prototyping" did you have in mind?
What kind of functionality were you expecting to utilize?

BTW - I sent this reply using Python running on an embedded PowerPC
system running eCos :-)

I was planning to get a compact flash card and use that for the OS file system - figured these things would get rather large plus it's a lot faster for copying lots of stuff. The board has ethernet as well, so that will be useful once I get it all going.

What sort of things did you have to do to python? Were they general to ecos or more specific to your environment?

I'm basically working on a fairly complicated data analysis application along with user interface. I was looking for something that had good existing libraries for numerical analysis, gui frameworks as well as just an abundance of basic data structures. These things all exist in C, but I also wanted a language which is suited towards getting things going quickly as well as being easy to make larger changes (something where C or C++ isn't so great in my experience - don't want to start a language flame-war though!). Python or java would work well for this, python looks to be more flexible and is very easy to extend with native code so I've been leaning in that direction (I've done lots of Java programming but not too much python yet).

I also wanted an environment where I could do a lot of development on my OS X laptop and then easily move it over to the target environment. In the past I've always structured my code so that I can compile and run both in a simulator and a target environment, but an emulated language would work very well here as well.

Shannon