RE: Debugging from ROM

Right -- programming the flash on our target is accomplished with a separate
utility.  It programs at 50Kbytes/sec and does not rely on the target
processor -- this is our preferred method.

But I suppose that once the gdb stub is on-flash the stub can program the
flash (requires modifying the stub..)  but I think you are right -- this
could be slow (and tricky to implement!) but possible.  A reasonable
approach would be to relocate the entire stub to RAM before performing the
flash operations.  By interleaving buffers you could approach the datarate
of your communication channel.  (very tricky to implement methinks)

Perhaps other systems with flash have provision for programming the flash
directly.

Best regards,
Rich LeGrand