Re: ecos2.0beta

Reinhard JESSICH wrote:
Hello,

I have seen on the ecos homepage, that the new official compiler is gcc-3.2.1.
I saw that you are using newlib.
As far as I understand it, you need it to compile gcc.
You don't use it in ecos. Ecos provides its own libc.
If I am right with my assumption about newlib, wouldn't it be better to add the missing
headers to ecos and tell gcc to use them during the compilation?

Actually we'd rather not generate toolchains that way. By generating toolchains with newlib, it's possible to run "make check" on the compiler with the built-in simulators without requiring eCos ports for all of them.

I use gcc-3.2.2 ( powerpc-eabi, i586-pc-linux-gnu [synth] ) and I got it to compile
without newlib.

Oh that's certainly possible, and indeed should probably work. The 2.95 instructions didn't require newlib either for example.

> I don't use libstdc++, but I moved the needed runtim functions to
> libgcc.

We wouldn't want to use non-standard setups ourselves, but I'm sure there are people interested in what you've done. Thanks!

Jifl