Re: Temporary IP address assignment trick

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 04:20:55PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> >>When the stack starts up "properly" it always does an ARP
> >>request for itself anyway, one of the reasons being to check
> >>there aren't conflicts with people with the same IP. It
> >>certainly means that you can't just bring the stack up
> >>completely unless you already have its IP address sorted out,
> >>so you can't let it work "transparently".
> >

> >So there's no way to open a raw socket if the stack doesn't
> >have an IP address?
>
> I can't see a way for a _raw_ socket to do that no... I don't even see raw
> sockets at all in this stack. I hope I'm wrong.

I've not looked at the BSD code, but normally you can register any
protocol layer for any Ethernet protocol type. If there are two
protocol layers registered for the same ether_type, the stack will
make a copy and send one to each protocol layer. This should mean its
transparent.

Raw sockets are in packages/net/bsd_tcpip/v2_0b1/src/sys/net/raw*

    Andrew