RE: Problem running redboot from eb40a

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 13:22, wkhto at engmail dot uwaterloo dot ca wrote:
> Thanks for your help. I changed the mlt files and my board boots up!!!
>
> One more question, I don't understand why we need to add set $cpsr=0xd3 in GDB
> to make it works

Because Angel will try to run the code in user mode.  eCos (RedBoot)
must start in supervisor mode which is what this is setting.

> Wilson
>

> Quoting Timothy Woods <twoods at actelesys dot com>:
>
> > Wilson,
> >
> > I had the same problem on my EB40A.  I just got it working yesterday.  Angel
> > is actually loaded into the upper end of SRAM on the board, so the download
> > overwrites this location.  What I had to do was change the mlt files in the
> > include/pkgconf directory.  The mlt_arm_at91_eb40a_ram.h and .ldi file
> > specifically.
> > I made the following changes to the .h file:
> > CYGMEM_REGION_sram_SIZE from 0x20000 to 0x2000
> > CYGMEM_REGION_ram from 0x20000 to 0x2000
> > CYGMEM_REGION_ram_SIZE from 0x1e000 to 0x3e000
> >
> > And to the .ldi file:
> > sram LENGTH from 0x20000 to 0x2000
> > ram ORIGIN from 0x20000 to 0x2000
> > ram LENGTH from 0x1e000 to 0x3e000
> >
> > Change the SECTION_rom_vectors (ram, 0x20000, ...
> > to be SECTION_rom_vectors (ram, 0x2000, ...
> >
> > You should then be able to build RedBoot.
> > Once you have the redboot.elf file, just run "arm-elf-gdb redboot.elf"
> > At the gdb prompt (assuming ttyS0 is the serial port you're using):
> > (gdb) target rdi /dev/ttyS0
> > (gdb) set $cpsr=0xd3
> > (gdb) load
> > (gdb) cont
> > Then hit ^Z and bring up minicom or whatever terminal program you have, set
> > up the port speed, etc correctly, and you should have a RedBoot> prompt.
> >
> > There may be a better way to do this.  I haven't been tinkering with eCos
> > for very long.  This at least got me started.
> >
> > Getting a ROM version was another struggle.  Let me know if you want help
> > with that.  There are some tricks due to the way the flash driver is set up.
> > Just be very careful not to write over the lower section of the flash unless
> > that's something you really want to do.
> >
> > Good luck!
> > -Tim

|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |
| Gary Thomas              email:  gary dot thomas at mind dot be   |
| Mind ( http://mind.be )  tel:    +1 (970) 229-1963     |
| gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc       |