Re: FOSDEM 2003 report

Jonathan Larmour <jifl at eCosCentric dot com> writes:

> A second but much more interesting idea IMO is to port TCLSH! That
> would be very powerful, it's very portable, was even originally
> designed for an embedded system. I like this idea a lot. It probably
> came from Bart of course ;-) although I can't remember for sure.

I started having a look at doing something similar, but since I just
play with eCos, it seemed more work than I had time for.

It's definitely been a success for ETLinux, although of course they
use an older Tclsh, which entails its own problems.

One starting point might be this:

http://www.tcl.tk/cgi-bin/tct/tip/31.html

    * mod-8-3-4-branch (Tcl) - Contains the modularization work done
      by ActiveState for Cisco. Not for public modification.

I think that branch is better suited to embedded work than the main
one.  Ideally, these changes would be folded back into Tcl itself in
some way, but it's certainly a bit of work...

> I also attended some talks about wxWindows with Julian Smart (who
> wrote the eCos Configtool v2). Now there has been a long-standing
> debate about the best route for host side GUI implementation. It was
> decided ages ago finally to solve this with wxWindows, hence the
> config tool v2 uses that.

> However I know Bart has plans to try and do more TCL/Tk things,
> particularly given the future requirements of CDL scripts. However
> pretty much everyone else doesn't like the non-native look-and-feel
> of TK widgets.

My impression was that modern Tcl/Tk versions have pretty good native
look and feel on Windows.

Of course, if you need anything from the Tcl developers, they are a
very approachable group.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/