Re: no graphical interface with GDB ??

    Larry> Greetings,

    Larry>     I am an eCos novice. I have been trying to learn eCos
    Larry> with the book by Anthony Massa.
    Larry>     Using Massa's boook and CD (eCos 2.0a) I was able to
    Larry> write and run a simple application.
    Larry>     I am now attempting to update my development system to
    Larry>     the 2.0b release.
    Larry>     After some initial anoying hassles with path changes I
    Larry> am now able to build my app, but when I try to run GDB to
    Larry> run the application I don't get the graphical interface,
    Larry> only the command line interface.
    Larry>     Has something changed? How can I get the graphical
    Larry> interface to work again???

As has already been pointed out, you need to put -w on the gdb command
line to get the graphical interface.

When you build the specific version of gdb/insight that was used for
the 2.0b toolchains, you end up with two binaries e.g. arm-elf-gdb and
arm-elf-insight. These are almost identical, both contain full support
for the graphical interface. However with one binary the graphics mode
is disabled by default, with the other it is enabled by default. These
executables are large. Adding several megabytes to each toolchain
download for the sake of one bit difference is obviously a waste of
bandwidth, so the insight binary has been left out. If people really
want the graphical interface by default then there are plenty of ways
of doing that, e.g. by defining a shell alias.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect