Re: Problem with simulator

Bart
 during the installation I've got these new files in the install directory /opt/sdk35/gnu-tools/H-i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/

v850-elf-run
v850-elf-addr2line
v850-elf-ar
v850-elf-as
v850-elf-c++
v850-elf-c++filt
v850-elf-chill
v850-elf-g++
v850-elf-g77
v850-elf-gasp
v850-elf-gcc
v850-elf-gcj
v850-elf-gdb
v850-elf-ld
v850-elf-nm
v850-elf-objcopy
v850-elf-objdump
v850-elf-protoize
v850-elf-ranlib
v850-elf-readelf
v850-elf-size
v850-elf-strings
v850-elf-strip
v850-elf-unprotoize

and I have read that v850-elf-run is a standalone simulator. Moreover here, but not only here,
(http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/gnupro/GNUPro-Toolkit-98r2/7_embed/embV850.html) I can read that the
simulator should be fully supported. I've also found a japanese page where the "target sim" was used with v850 for
the Hello.c code; the only difference is that in that page the code loaded was 1500bits, while my code loads 380000
bits.
Therefore I think that the problem could resides in the way the code is linked or compiled.

Help me!!

Regards

Cris

>      > I'm trying to load code into the simulator.
>      <snip>
>
>      > v850-elf-gcc -c -o hello.o -g -O2 -Wall -I../install/include >
>      -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections hello.c
>
>      <snip>
>      > --------------------------------------------
>      > v850-elf-gdb hello
>      > 	GNU gdb 5.2
>      > 	Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>      > 	GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public
>      License, and you are > 	welcome to change it and/or distribute
>      copies of it under certain conditions. > 	Type "show copying" to
>      see the conditions. > 	There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.
>      Type "show warranty" for details. > 	This GDB was configured as
>      "--host=i586-pc-linux-gnu --target=v850-elf"...
>
>      > target sim
>      > 	Connected to the simulator.
>      > load
>      > 	Start address 0x205000
>      > 	Transfer rate: 385408 bits in <1 sec.
>      > run
>      > 	Starting program: /root/ecos/ecos-work-cris/hello
>      > 	core: 2 byte read to unmapped address 0x205000 at 0x205000
>
>      > 	Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>      > 	0x00205000 in start ()
>      > 	Current language:  auto; currently c++
>      > --------------------------------------------
>
> Most of the simulators provided with gdb are instruction set
> simulators only, intended for running the compiler testsuite and not
> much else. They don't implement system facilities like interrupts
> which are needed to run an OS like eCos, and hence cannot be used to
> run eCos applications. Those need an architectural simulator.
>
> For some architectures like the PowerPC the simulator does provide
> enough support to run eCos applications. There are corresponding eCos
> targets, for example you can configure eCos for target psim and then
> run applications in the simulator rather than on real hardware.
>
> Currently the only supported V850 target is ceb_v850, which requires a
> Cosmo CEB-v850 board. If you configure eCos for that target then the
> resulting applications will only run on such a board, not in a
> simulator. There is no v850sim target, so there is no way of running
> v850 eCos applications in a simulator. Check the documentation and
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/hardware.html for details of exactly
> which targets are supported.
>
> Bart
>
> --
> Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect
> http://www.ecoscentric.com/     The eCos and RedBoot experts

 Ing. Cristoforo ABBATTISTA
 Planetek Italia s.r.l.
 Via Massaua, 12   I-70123 Bari
 Tel.: +39 080 5343750  - Fax: +39 080 5340280
 cristoforo dot abbattista at planetek dot it
 Web: http://www.planetek.it