Re: [OT] JTAG and the Wiggler in linux

Scott Dattalo wrote:
Also, as a rhetorical question, why
would a company that exclusively sells hardware intentionally hide the
software interface to it's products? On second thought, forget that I
asked the question...  maybe I should go read Slashdot or something.

Maybe they're pressed by providers of commercial tools. They don't even answer if you ask them about it.

Well, what I find incredulous is that the arm-elf package that they
provide won't install on Windows 98SE (setup croaks with error -5002).
Thus even if I had an inclination to do my ARM development on a Windows
Box, I *still* couldn't use their tool beyond what's provided by OCDemon.
Sigh. What are they going to do when eCos eventually puts all other RTOS's
out of business? I guess I'm full of rhetorical questions today...

IIRC, Wiggler support used to be built into gdb as standard but was removed by the gdb maintainers since their software was not GPL friendly. I don't know the specifics. When asked, the company in question would not open source their software either since the IP of the wiggler does not lie within the hardware (which turns out to be a very simple piece of kit) but within their dll software.

-- Alex

Scott

-- Managing Director / CEO eCosCentric Limited http://www.ecoscentric.com/ The eCos and RedBoot experts