Re: Calling exit in a Redboot standalone Arm program

Mark Salter wrote:
> [...]
> > BTW, Mark, you expressed in an other message some doubts about
> > the use of HAL_THREAD_* macros. What about the patch as it was
> > proposed by Jonathan ?
>
> I'm just concerned that the CYGACC_CALL_IF_MONITOR_RETURN call will
> not work from an exception context on all architectures. It will
> work for ARM, but I believe there are others where it won't work.
> I'm thinking of architectures like sparc where there are explicit
> instructions used to return from exceptions. Since, the call to
> CYGACC_CALL_IF_MONITOR_RETURN from the exit code is in an exception
> context, the HAL_THREAD_LOAD_CONTEXT macro used by return_to_redboot()
> may not do the right thing.

But HAL_THREAD_LOAD_CONTEXT is just a wrapper for
hal_thread_load_context (defined in context.S), isn't it ?
I'd expect that the corresponding assembly code of each supported
architecture (including sparc) has been designed for returning from an
exception state. Unfortunately my knowledge of the sparc arch. is
limited and I am not able to check what actually is done in
hal_thread_load_context for that arch. From what I know, one should find
there a 'rett' instruction somewhere at the end of the subroutine.
Instead I found a 'retl' instruction mnemonic which one is not
documented in the only one sparc guide I have at hand...

On an other hand, I understand that HAL_THREAD_LOAD_CONTEXT is called
for returning from the stubs to RedBoot. I thus do not see what
difference it makes that it returns to the main loop or to the 'do_go'
procedure. But here too I have certainly misunderstood some pieces of
the whole stuff...

Anyway, the question is: as regards the changes applied to cyg_start()
in main.c that we are considering here, should from your point of view
these changes be conditionally compiled, or not ?

Pierre
Pierre HABRAKEN - mailto:Pierre.Habraken@imag.fr
Tél: 04 76 82 72 83 - Fax: 04 76 82 72 87
IMAG-LSR BP72 38402 SAINT MARTIN D'HERES Cedex