target sim arm-elf eCos development enviornment

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the necessary information to use the
arm-elf-gdb target sim environment to prototype my eCos application.

I've plowed through a fair amount of eCos/mailing lists, etc.,
but where can I find out more?

Øyvind

There are lots of questions I'm trying to find an answer to:

- I created an eCos application for the eb40a, and the simulator seems
to be running it(see below). This is amazing, but I don't understand how
the GDB simulator could possibly know about the eb40a hardware.
- I've got a redboot.elf image I was able to run from RAM on my EB40a
board. Can I run it in the simulator?
- Does the GDB simulator have the ability to simulate/redirect
hardware(e.g. serial ports)?
- I saw non-arm platforms seemed to have seperate build
enviornments for the simulators. Does this mean that I need a seperate
"ecosconfig new arm-gdb-sim" build environment?

Below is a session of an experiment I tried.

- Created an eCos application build environment

ecosconfig new eb40a default
ecosconfig tree
make

- Created a small hello.c

- Compiled and linked the hello.c with the eCos build environment above

- Launched the hello app in GDB:

oharboe@lair /cygdrive/c/e21/workspace/ecoshello
$ arm-elf-gdb hello
GNU gdb 5.3 (eCosCentric)
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf"...
(gdb) target sim --board=eb40a
Connected to the simulator.
(gdb) load
Start address 0x2040
Transfer rate: 531904 bits in <1 sec.
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x24c4: file hello.c, line 5.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /ecos-C/e21/workspace/ecoshello/hello
Breakpoint 1, main (argc=1, argv=0x160ac) at hello.c:5
5               printf("hello!\n");
(gdb)