Re: Floppy Image

Yugandhar <yugandar@intotoinc.com> writes:

> Hi,
>   I built eCos library for i386 PC. Then i compiled the sample programs in
> examples dir in ecos distribution.I then used the commands
>
> $fdformat /dev/fd0 - to format a floppy disk
> $i386-elf-objcopy -O binary hello app.bin
> $dd conv=sync if=app.bin of=/dev/fd0
>
> as specified in the documents.
>
> But when i tried to boot with the floppy disk to test the 'hello' sample
> program,it doesn't happen.

What startup type did you use? Only the FLOPPY startup type is
designed to run directly from a floppy disk.

> After i get 'Verifying DMI pool data' the system just hangs.

'Verifying DMI pool data' is part of the BIOS boot sequence, so tells
us nothing about the state of eCos.

Does it try to boot from the floppy? Can you hear the head move? Does
it retry the read? Does this PC boot correctly otherwise?

When the floppy boots correctly, it will print a '.' for each sector
read. If you don't see the '.'s then it has not even got as far as
booting from the floppy.

> 2)
>   When i built redboot using configtool and did the above steps on the
> resultant reboot.elf i had the same problem.

Make sure you put the redboot.bin file on the floppy, not the .elf
file. Also make sure you apply the redboot_FLOPPY.ecm file to the
configuration before building.

It is generally much better to put RedBoot on the floppy and then use
GDB via serial or net to download RAM startup programs for
development.