Re: Watchdog

[ I'll reply to this too jsut in case]

Bob Koninckx wrote:
Hi list,

I want to use the hardware watchdog on my mpc555 board which does not
seem too difficult to implement.

It is however from the documentation not clear to me how to use it. Do I
need to instantiate, initialize and reset it from application code, or
is this taken care of by the kernel ?

Watchdog support only exists for those targets with a watchdog driver as per the devs/watchdog directory. The target definition in ecos.db will then list that package. It's then up to the application to start up the watchdog driver. Have a look at some of the existing device drivers.

Note it just occurred to me with your other mention of watchdogs in RedBoot that this means you would probably need to selectively enable an interrupt to prod the watchdog - the RedBoot idle loop handler stuff could delay too long. This isn't normal for RedBoot (ints are normally all disabled), but is possible if you mask off all other interrupts. Bit of a pain though.

Jifl