Re: Creating eCos flash application image for AT91 EB40a Redboot

Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:

> >Then configure it as a ROM applications, but use a
> >different .ldi file to move its ROM and RAM addresses
> >out of the way of RedBoot.
>
> My attempt at updating the eb40a repository files to support
> a new "ROMAPP" startup type failed.

A better approach, at least initially, is to generate and build a
standard ROM configuration. Then go in and edit the target.ld file
in the install/lib directory, and the mlt...h file in
install/include/pkgconf. You may be able to just edit the mlt...ldi
file there too, instead of target.ld, but I'm not sure whether the
makefile will notice.

The problem with adding a new startup type is finding all the places
in the HAL where the startup type is tested, and then ensuring that
the right choice is taken for the new type.

There really ought to be a separation between the memory layout and
the startup type, which there isn't at present. If we ever get around
to reimplementing the Memory Layout Tool, this is something we should
address.