Re: Redboot i386 boot floppy won't boot on target

> I have installed the ecos book software and have regenerated the pc
> redboot.bin
> binary and transferred it to a floppy through cgywin 'dd' command. When
> trying
> to boot this floppy on the target pc the floppy light just stays on and
> nothing is
> displayed on the target PC screen. (no loading dots at all).
>
> PS: The preconfigured i386 pc downloaded redboot.bin transfers to the
> floppy okay
> with "dd" and will load on the target pc. It's problem is that  it won't
> recognize the
> 82559 ethernet card.
>
> I presume that there is something missing in the configuration for the
> redboot.ecc
> that is not covered in the ecos book.
>
> Any tips or help will be grealy appreciated.

After redoing the redboot builds I got the floppy to boot on the target.
 - the boot floppy light on and missing "....." problems were:
    1) needed to delete the output redboot.bin and
        redboot.elf files in the redboot_install directory before building
        the new version. (or use the "clean" menu item in graphical
interface)
    2) changed output floppy disk because the original output floppy
        might have been bad

 - the 82559 ethernet controller was not recognized
    3) used a different Intel Pro/100+ controller (82559)  with
        Wake on Lan - it was recognized and it put out
        "Intel Boot Agent 2.2" on the screen during boot.
        (There must be several versions of Intel 82559
         ethernet adapters).