Re: Redboot-GDB

Hi,

Thanks to all, who responded.

From: Nick Garnett <nickg@ecoscentric.com>
To: "Michael Anburaj" <embeddedeng@hotmail.com>
CC: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com, ecos-devel@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Redboot-GDB
Date: 20 Jun 2003 08:57:56 +0100

"Michael Anburaj" <embeddedeng@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a very simple issue with the Redboot_gdb_stub, which anyone
> familiar with Redboot should know the answer.
>
> 1. After continue command is issued in the gdb console, $C0a#d4 is
> sent by the GDB host protocol <at least this is true in my case & most
> others>.

It seems strange that it is sending a "C" command rather than a "c"
command. This is a continue with signal, in this case SIGBUS. Maybe
this is the cause of your problems. Are you sure that RedBoot has
actually reached its initial breakpoint and has not actually hit some
other error? What do you get from RedBoot if you just type a $ to the
RedBoot> prompt?

I will do some more work tomorrow & let you know. But, I was able to connect to the ARM9 Target & load the image without any issue. Which I guess indicates that the breakpoint (or Undefined instruction) exception is working fine. Am I right?

Only after I issue the continue command on the gdb console (on the PC host) the gdb on the host becomes mum. Which sends Hc0 & C0a after. Even if there were exceptions occurring on the target, in which case I would imagine the target communicating this 1st to the host (Signaling its condition). I am right? <I am not a GDB expert, so excuse me if I am wrong :), just a guess >

However, there is very little that your platform HAL can do to mess
this up.

Yea you are right, pretty much every thing is done in /arch or /arm9/var folders.

The problem is almost certainly in your
platform HAL somewhere.

Yea, i certainly agree.

One thing I really want to know is:
1. From the host I am able to connect to the target (ARM9 with Redboot_ROMRAM) & load the ecos image. Does this imply that the GDB serial protocol / breakpoint (or Undefined instruction) exception mechanism is working fine?

2. If that?s true, then is the packet, $C0a#d4 sent from the host the root of this problem? If so, what could driver the host to send this?

Also let me know what is the last redboot_ROMRAM instruction executed before the 1st ecos_RAM instruction at vector.S (in my case 0x40000). I mean the very 1st time ecos is made to run after it?s loaded. Does this (last redboot_ROMRAM) code live in return_from_exception: of vector.S?

Thanks a lot, -Mike.