Re: ECOS and Centaur machines

Chuck McManis <ecos@mcmanis.com> writes:

> 1) Most importantly I suppose is whether or not I can use FreeBSD to
> do development. I'm an old Sun guy and BSD is sort of burned into my
> fingers. If someone else has already brought up the tool chain on
> FreeBSD that would really be helpful.

The GCC toolchain should obviously work with no problems. The Linux
configure and build instructions on the website should work for BSD
too.

We used to support Solaris as a development platform, for the command
line tools only. But this has not been tried for a long time. Building
them for other types of Unix should be easy, and may just work
straight off -- its all driven by standard autoconf scripts.

The graphical configuration tool depends on wxWindows. If there is a
port for BSD then that should work fairly easily too.

> 2) Has anyone tried ECOS on this motherboard? It seems like a natural
> fit and if there is already a hal layer that incorporates this
> particular boards peripherals that would save me some time and
> effort. Any leads there also appreciated.

If it is a standard PC-like board then it should boot RedBoot/eCos
with no problem. If you don't have a floppy drive then you will need
to look at the GRUB support for booting.