RE: porting ecos on ec555 light

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 10:45, Aakash Jain wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. Being a newbie, though, I'm stuck
> again and need some more guidance...
>
> >>  Now I want port eCos to my board, but since its designed for the
> >> ec555 is it still possible to port it to a ec555 light?!
>
> > Start with redboot first. The rom version fits into the mpc555's
> > internal flash and does not need any external resources, so that
> should
> > be usable with the ec555 light. I suppose all you need to change will
> be
> > some board specific things like setup of the memory controller etc...
>
> I followed the instructions for rebuilding redboot and generated the
> .elf redboot (ROM version) image. The problem now is that the elf file
> is 593.1KB, much bigger than the internal flash of the MPC555 of 448KB.
> So, now my problem is: a) how strip or section the elf and convert to a
> binary image, and b) then download it onto the flash memory. Can I use
> the NVM GMD provided by Motorola to do so? If so, how?

a) powerpc-eabi-objcopy -O binary redboot.elf redboot.bin
   You have been reading the documentation, have you ?
b) don't know this NVM GMD thing

> >>  Do you have any idea as to how I can downlaod to the board and is it
> >> also possible to use downlaod the code using the Wiggler?
>
> > You can use the wiggler for programming the flash. Do you have any
> > external memory in your setup to run your application from.
>
> Yeah, the ec555 light board supports 1MB synchronous burst SRAM.

Good, that makes things a lot easyer

> > If not, I
> > don't think the ec555 light is a good development environment as it
> will
> > require reprogramming the internal flash for every new session.
>
> Why is that?

If you do not have enough ram, you can only use the small amount you
have to set up a stack etc. The application however will run out of
flash. Since you have 1 Meg available, this is no longer an issue.

> > And as
> > this can only be done around 100 times on the mpc555 ... In addition,
> > debugging out of flash is a pain.
>
> > I suppose you better get an ec555 board first. Do all your development
> > there and as soon as you have the functionallity you want, you can
> start
> > thinking of squeezing it into the ec555-light. Permanent storage won't
> > be much of a problem, you have .5MB of flash. 26 kB of RAM might be
> > problematic tough.
>
> Getting the ec555 board might be a little problematic.

As before, wont be necessary.

> Looking forward to your reply to my, probably, fairly basic and dumb
> questions.
>
> Best,
> Aakash
ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma