Re: where can I find the assebly language manual used in thecoding..

Nick Garnett wrote:
Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> writes:
Obviously you can also look at the "info gas" stuff as Gary says, but
general stuff about the IA32 instruction set is at e.g. for pentium
http://developer.intel.com/design/intarch/pentium/docs_pentium.htm
and similarly you can hunt around the AMD site.

Those pages would not be a great help since GAS implements the AT&T
syntax rather than the Intel syntax.

GAS now supports both actually. Albeit it with a ".intel_syntax" directive.

> However to anyone familiar with
Intel syntax, AT&T syntax should be easy to pick up -- I certainly
never had any difficulty.

The main differences are:

- source and destination operands are in reverse order.

- The size of a transfer is encoded as a "b", "w" or "l" suffix on the
  opcode, not inferred from the operands.

- The general syntax of addressing modes is offset(base_reg,index_reg,scale) with elements omitted if they are not needed.

- Some of the more obscure opcodes are named slightly differently.

info gas even has a page on the differences :-).

Jifl