success at last

As with many things, its the little things that screw you.

In my case it was the fact that I had overlooked the conv=sync flag to dd which meant my last sector was truncated rather than being loaded on to the disk. Thus I was missing the last few vectors and nothing would work.

I rebuilt redboot and installed it correctly and while it still makes that IDE complaint (presumably this just means that I've only got 3 IDE devices attached) it does get to the redboot prompt eventually. Yeah!

Ping works too, but I can't telnet to the system and get the redboot prompt yet (that may come later). Next step is to load a program and have GDB attach to it.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement,
--Chuck