Re: PCI Ethernet card

Nick Garnett wrote:

"Michael Anburaj" <embeddedeng@hotmail.com> writes:

Hi All,

Thanks all for sharing info.

for one of the commodity PCI ethernet chipsets. That would be a useful

Can you point me to a particular commodity PCI Ethernet chipset, which’s good & well documented & cards based on them affordable :-)

Not offhand. I'm not sure what gets put into cheap ethernet cards
these days. I know someone is already doing a RealTek driver.
[ ... ]

According to RealTek, they held over 60% of the total market for
Ethernet and Fast Ethernet in 2002, so chances are good most low-end
100 MBit cards will use one of the RealTek 8139 variants. If Michael
wants to try his hand at improving my driver for it he is of course
more than welcome to do so (the latest code was posted to ecos-patches
on Friday); however the RealTek 8139 definitely does not fall into the
'well documented' category (you can get a data sheet without signing
anything, but it's not very helpful since it is missing a few important
points and contains a number of mistakes).