Re: gcc3.3 everything in the data segment?

Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> writes:

> While I agree that these should probably be in something other than
> ".data.XXX", I do see this as an improvement since it gives the linker
> garbage collection a chance to removed unused data objects - better
> than before.

Yep, but of course they should be in ".bss.XXX" sections. This looks
like another of those places where the GCC maintainers haven't
considered the needs of the embedded world.

However, I have a very vague memory of an explanation of why it was
not done this way from the start. Unfortunately I cannot remember what
it was now, just that it was sufficiently plausible for us to stop
complaining about it. Maybe somebody else can remember: Bart, Jifl?