eCos ROM application crashes without Redboot

I'm trying to build an eCos ROM application without
using Redboot.  The crash appears to be related to
interrupts somehow:

- ecosconfig new eb40a default
- here I add flash and serial ports to the
configuration.
- ecosconfig tree
- make

My application opens /dev/ser0 and begins sending data.
After having sent ~2 bytes, it crashes. My theory is
that an interrupt happens and that interrupts are not set
up correctly.

However, if I:

- Create and write a Redboot image to flash
- Reset the CPU using my JTAG debugger
- Jump directly to my appliaction starting at 0x1020000.

The application runs fine.

Presumably a ROM appliaction uses Redboot somehow.

Øyvind